How many headlines have I written in my 25-plus years in copywriting?
Andy, my partner in mousetraps and cheese, asked me this as we began the second episode of the Content Matters podcast.
I couldn’t answer the question. However, he had plenty more questions (as did I) and answering them made for a great 22 minute discussion on the all-important topic.
Here’s episode #2:
Headlines: Does Anything Matter More?
How do you write killer headlines? Should you aim to turn on readers or search engines?
This episode of the podcast gets into these questions and:
- How headlines are ammo in the war for attention
- How headlines are the key to social media success
- Headlines are no longer just the big bold words at the top of the page
- Do headline writers over-emphasize search?
- How to hack your way to writing killer headlines for web content
- How to borrow insights from the cover of pop culture magazines (and the native advertising industry)
- Barry’s age-old “how to” get started lesson
- Andy’s not-so-secret formula for looking at numbers first
- The magnetic power of the illustrious curiosity gap
- The dubious double headline that screams “click me”
In the cheese and mousetrap segment…
- Are you fulfilling your promises?
- The connection between the headline and the growth of your email list
Some click-worthy comments
We haven’t figured out how to put hyperlinks in our soundtrack, but suspect you’ll want to visit some of the resources we mentioned:
- Feldman Creative’s post about keywords
- Headline Analyzer tool from Advanced Marketing Institute
- Jon Morrow’s 52 headline hacks (a cheat sheet for writing blog posts)
- Native Advertising Leaderboard
- 9-Letter Cheat Sheet for writing H-E-A-D-L-I-N-E-S that Work
If you’re enjoying Content Matters, join us for the live recording sessions on Blab, write a review on iTunes, or tweet this…
Great podcast, especially the questions you arise should be considered.
This is so useful! We have created a launch sequence with 3 free videos to help people get out of debt. After listening to this podcast, I am going to revisit every single subject line in that sequence! THANKS! Alan